Interlining is a very important aspect of the garment manufacturing process. It is a type of accessory that is used between two layers of fabrics in a garment. To keep any apparel in the desired shape and its component in place, a king of fabric material is used between the two plies of fabric either by fusing or stitching it with the fabric and this is called as Garment interlinings.
The uses of garment interlining
Interlining in garments is mainly used for cuffs, collars, coat linings, blazers, jackets and more. The Garment interlinings helps in:
- Provides support to the garment
- It keeps the garments in shape
- Controls the area of the garment
- Reinforces the various components of any garment
- It makes the garments look attractive, beautiful and strong
- It makes sure that the garment look as according to the desired quality and impact
- Helps improve the performance of the garment it is used in
Types of Garment Interlinings
This is the most used type of interlining for garments. This type of interlining is fixed between two types of fabrics by the application of heat for a certain amount of time. It is a very popular method and mostly used for readymade garments.
There are many advantages of fusible interlining, like:
- Easy availability
- Easy processing
- Maintains due similarity in texture and continuity of any garment
- Is cheap and requires lesser time to be made
- Productivity quotient is more
- The garments performance is very high
Disadvantages of fusible interlining are:
- It takes a lot of care binding the fusible interlining
- Needs high temperatures for the process
This type of interlining is prepared without the application of any heat and by simple sewing between two layers of fabrics. The non fusible interlining between the two fabrics is prepared by starching another fabric and sewing in between.
This type of lining is fire resistant and hence used for making apparels for fire personnel and other safety apparels for other services like re-rolling mills.
It also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- It is flame retardant
- The manufacturing technique is very easy and simple
- Does not need any special machine or technique to manufacture
- Its durability and strength makes it an apt for heavy and hearted industry
Some of the disadvantages:
- Difficult to find in the market
- Is not of very good quality
- Required more time than its counterpart to be ready
- Unsuitable for larger productions
- Incurs higher costs and work-load in manufacturing
Fabric or garment interlinings is a very delicate process. Improper handling could cause manufacturing defects in the final garments like bubbling, orange skin, strike back and strikethrough. Just like proper sewing is needed for non-fusible interlining, proper heat temperature is a must for the best outcome of fusible interlining.